Thursday, March 13, 2008

Pizza by Elizabeths

I’m not a huge pizza lover, but I do like a good pizza (interesting toppings, crust thick, thin, in-between…just not greasy and floppy) every once in a while.

Pizza by Elizabeths, a casual pizzeria in a strip mall on the edge of Wilmington serves pizzas baked in wood-fired ovens that I would call good – crisp, medium-thin crust with all your standard toppings, and a handful of interesting toppings. My last visit to Elizabeths is not my first, so I can solidly say that their pizzas are tasty.

The gimmick at Elizabeths, a joint run by two Elizabeths, is that each pizza is named after a famous Elizabeth – Queen, Shue, Claiborne, Davis, Hutton, Saint, and so on. There is a Taylor pizza, which happens to be vegetarian (goat cheese, rosemary onion sauté, sun dried tomatoes, parmesan, basil, and black olives), and I, of course, have sampled this lovely combination.

On this last visit we shared the field greens with curried pecan salad, and our choice of one of their homemade dressings, which they bring out in a large glass bottle for you to dress the salad. If you like their dressings, you can purchase a bottle. What we wanted to purchase were the curried pecans; these were fabulously perfect!

At Elizabeths you can create your own salad and your own pizza, if you don’t like one of their proven creations. White, whole wheat, and gluten-free crusts are available. A couple each of tomato-based, cream-based, and pesto-based pizza sauces, along with roasted garlic spread are available, and, of course, a whole boat load of meat, veggie, cheese, and herb pizza toppings.

We decided to both create our own pizzas. The boy went with tomato sauce, red onion, mushroom, sun dried tomato, smoked Gouda, and mozzarella. No complaints from that side of the table.

I just had to try a pizza with mushroom duxelle sauce. I added scallions, mushrooms, spinach sauté, and Parmesan cheese. At first, I was a little upset that the toppings were so skimpy (mushrooms in particular), since at home I top pizzas with a heavy hand, but everything came together in perfect proportion in my mouth. And that duxelle sauce is subtle, and something I would definitely order again (I was afraid I had ordered a Campbell’s mushroom soup pizza).

What I would not order again is the bread pudding. It tasted fine, but was tiny and swimming in buttery sweet liquid. I’ve never had such wet bread pudding.

My advice is to skip dessert. They give you complimentary chocolate and nut covered toffee, anyway.


Pizza by Elizabeths
3801 Kennett Pike, Greenville, DE 19807
302 654-4478

Sun.-Thurs., 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m.; Fri.-Sat., 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment