Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Copper Pennies

Sometimes I’ll leave a book or a magazine sitting on a chair as a reminder to read it. It will sit there for a year. Then I'll read it.

That’s exactly what happened with this recipe for Copper Pennies, a chilled, marinated carrot salad. It sat on my dresser for nearly a year as a reminder to make the dish. I made it a couple of weeks ago.

I had never heard of or eaten Copper Pennies until last Fourth of July holiday at my Dad’s house (really, his wife made them, and the dish is a favorite in her family). Copper Pennies is an old Southern recipe that is commonly found in church and community cookbooks, yet I had never run across it at reunions or picnics. The only thing I can figure is I must have been eye-deep in mac and cheese, deviled eggs, and caramel cake.

As a lover of sweet and tangy marinated anything, I had to have the recipe. So, my Dad’s wife wrote it out for me in her lovely handwriting (I’ve got doctor’s scrawl...and no PhD). And just like so many unpretentious, yet delicious hand-me-down recipes, it’s got a can of soup in it. Gotta love it!

I broke out this dish at a gathering this past Memorial Day weekend, and within five minutes of it being on the table, just like my Dad’s wife, I had a request for the recipe.

Make this simple recipe your summer hit...if you don't know about it already!

Copper Pennies
serves 8

2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced ¼-inch thick
½ cup bell pepper, chopped
½ cup onion, chopped
½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup sugar
2/3 cup vinegar (I used rice wine vinegar)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 can tomato soup

  • Boil carrots until tender, but still firm, about 5-8 minutes. Drain carrots.
  • Put carrots, bell pepper, and onions in a large bowl.
  • In a small saucepan, heat the oil, sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, and tomato soup until the sugar dissolves. Let cool 15 minutes.
  • Poor the cooled liquid over the vegetables and refrigerate overnight.
  • Drain marinade off before serving, or dish out with a slotted spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment