Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Sweet Misfortune

How’s my vintage food tin collection going? Well, it has sprung a leak, or at least the unopened Log Cabin Syrup tin with syrup still in it.

This cabin-shaped tin can has managed to stay intact for the last fifty or so years (not sure it's real age), but within six months of my possession a pin-sized hole has managed to appear allowing amber liquid to seep down the side (really pretty when it goes unnoticed). Rust is to blame, not me!

I had never unscrewed the cap for fear that I would damage the value, but since the tin has seemed to self-destruct, I might as well take a peek inside and taste the syrup, right? Right.

I twisted that sucker off, and…hey, it’s sealed!

I still didn’t want to open the tin, so screwed the lid back on, and then squeezed the syrup out of the tiny rust hole on the side of the tin.

What does 50 year old syrup taste like?

Really good! It tastes like maple syrup, in fact. A lot like maple syrup. I picked up the tin to see if it listed ingredients and it did: sugar and maple sugar syrups. Now, Log Cabin gives us high fructose corn syrup. Boo.

So, does any one know how to fix the hole? Something more professional than duct tape. For now the tin is going to sit on it’s side so it doesn’t made weepy pools of syrup on the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment