Friday, September 5, 2008

Moe's Hot Dog House

Took a trip recently down to Moe's Hot Dog House on the corner of Washington and Grays Ferry. Whoa, I've never gone to the very western end of Washington, and it's ugly -- uglier than the rest of Washington. But Moe's family-run dog house will greet you at the end of your drive and make things all better.
Moe's corner wedge building houses a handful of tables out front of a long counter where Philly's salt of the earth steps up to order their breakfast staples, hot dogs, or sandwiches from one of the smiling employees behind the counter. I came for the hot dogs, so that's what I ordered. They have regular, beef, and veggie dogs for your approval.
You just know I ordered the Connie Mac - a hot dog topped with their homemade mac and cheese. You know what? Their mac and cheese is not bad. The elbows are loosely held together with cheese and grease, and definitely spiced with homemade love. I'd put Moe's mac and cheese in the category with many soul food restaurants' mac and cheese, which is to say pretty good, but, of course, not glorious. At least it's not my hated fancy-restaurant-crock-of-noodles-in-a-cheese-bath.

My dog came with a fork to shovel the mac directly into your face, and I would suggest you do that, because the flavor of the mac and cheese gets lost when you eat it with the split-grilled dog and the bun all at once. Skip the dog and just order the mac as a side, if you like. I went off the board and ordered a dog with Moe's homemade sweet pickle relish and homemade creamy slaw. That's two tangs at once! I like tang, and think you need some tang or pep on a dog. I could use about four times as much slaw on my dog, though. I want somebody to just weigh my dog down with goodness. Ya know, I'm no lightweight.
Dog eats self. Just too tasty. Couldn't resist.

Here's the curious part about Moe's dogs, and what I liked the most (besides that you can tell they take pride in their business), the hot dog buns are essentially tiny hoagie rolls. It makes perfect sense in such a hoagie-proud town.

It's definitely worth traveling to the end of Washington to visit Moe's for a great dog.

Moe's Hot Dog House
2617 Grays Ferry Ave., Philadelphia, PA, 19146
215-465-6637

No comments:

Post a Comment