Wednesday, October 14, 2009

More Café con Chocolate Love

I've already expressed my love for Café con Chocolate, the sunny-hued corner restaurant in South Philly serving up reasonably priced, vegetarian-friendly Mexican and Japanese food, in a write up from almost a year ago. Then I named Café con Chocolate's mole sauce in one of my yearly roundups as the "Best Thing From A Restaurant That I Put In My Mouth." And, a few weeks ago, when the Food Blogger's Brunch panel I sat on was asked what memorable food item from a Philly restaurant they recently ate, I chimed in with Café con Chocolate's mole sauce. So, yeah, I like Café con Chocolate.

Above is a picture of the awesomely delicious and huge vegetarian torta, a Mexican sandwich stuffed with spicy scrambled tofu, mushrooms, cheese, onions, avocado, beans, lettuce, and tomato. I ate half, and, too full to finish it all, had the other half boxed up to go.That bittersweet (but not too bitter) mole sauce I like so much can be ordered as a side from the menu. Thinking I'd receive a little ramekin of mole when I asked for a side, I had to pop my eyes back into my head cartoon-style when a large soup bowl of mole arrived. But, for $4, I guess a side of mole should be generous. This was also wrapped up to go and got me through many happy meals at home.
Cheese and scrambled egg enchiladas with mole, crema, queso fresco, and a side of corn-studded rice are damn good...and more food than you should really eat for breakfast.

Café con Chocolate
2100 S. Norwood St., Philadelphia, PA, 19145
267-639-4506
Thurs-Sat: 10 am - 8 pm
Sun: 10 am - 3 pm
Mon-Wed: closed
BYOB

No comments:

Post a Comment