Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Flavrz Drink Mixes


Are these for the nature conscious? Certainly not. They've got enough packaging for three Crystal Light drink mixes. Are these for the busy people who need a convenient drink? Not really. The package is full of liquid, and that's kind of strange and hazardous. Does it make the drink better? Does it taste good?

Read on, Foodketeers!

Lame, yes.

Flavrz Drink Concentrates were sent to me by the company for review, in their three flavors: Cherry Berry, Lemon-Lime, and Tropical. They're drink mixers that can be added to 12-20 oz. of water. That's a big margin of flavor for me. It's the difference between that abysmal Dasani "Hint" water and a nice Fruit 2 O. So how are they?

I tried the Cherry Berry in a water bottle. I figured that with the copious amount of liquid, it would be equal to the powder ratio, with a 19.6 oz. recommended mix. It mixed to a nice rose color in the water, but the taste? Bleh. Tasted just like that damned Dasani.

Another thing I noticed which I really, really disliked was the flavor inconsistency. I'm not sure if it was the agave, but inexplicably, I found that there were like, liquid pockets floating around the water, like grease on a burger, where there was more flavor, possibly due to an inability to mix? Whatever it was, it was awful and led me to sip tentatively.

2/10- GROSS

Unfortunately, no photos of that. I can't seem to find the ones I sent to my email address from my cell phone. None of lemon lime, either. But I can save you with tropical.

The lemon-lime, I decided, couldn't be screwed up, and also opted for a smaller ratio of water. I filled my bottle up with twelve ounces and added the liquid, then gave it a good shake to disperse whatever those greasy pockets were before. And then I took a sip.

Awful. Even worse than before. The entire twelve ounces was permeated with a medicinal, metallic taste bearing little resemblance to lemon or lime aside from a strange, not sour acidity and general lack of sweetness to the drink. Horrible. The taste stayed in my bottle for days until I washed it out with boiling water.

1/10- HORRIBLE

Although I was scared to try the last one, life has left me bereft of juice in the last week and I'm thirsty. So I bucked up for the sake of the review and tried it. It's sweet! It's cloying! It's actually sort of tasty, in a strange way! The overall flavor reminds me of coconut, banana, and pineapple, and it comes in a pleasing orange color. Oddly enough, it even has that waxy coconut aftertaste. Hrm.

I don't know how to feel about this. Even after mixing it, there were those strange, unmixed swirls, and I just didn't like them as much as I thought. I'd never buy them unless the concentrations got better, and the greasiness went away. And they're just not convenient for on the go. If I were to take these anywhere, they'd go right in my backpack, and I'd just worry about something puncturing one of them.

4/10- ALL RIGHT

No comments:

Post a Comment