Thursday, May 6, 2010

Israeli Couscous and Spring Vegetable Salad

Can you believe that I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years and have never subscribed to Vegetarian Times. I don't even know if I've even read it once, and, if I did, it was at the very beginning of my days as a vegetarian...in the late 80's!

Well, I finally subscribed to Vegetarian Times (bookstore gift cards are good like that) at the suggestion of some friends, and received my first issue last month. To be honest (who me?), I was underwhelmed with the thin magazine, and only dog-eared two recipes. Maybe that issue's recipes just didn't have my name on them.
The two recipes I did dog-ear are from the 6-recipe spread on Philly's own premier vegan restaurant, Horizons, which was exciting to see. I guess the April issue kinda was speaking to me.

Always a sucker for the playful, tongue-pleasing round orbs of Israeli couscous, I whipped up a batch of Horizons' Israeli couscous and Spring vegetable salad. I see this dish as a picnic replacement for the tired (but classic) rotini pasta salad with tomatoes and basil. Try something different this year.Israeli Couscous and Spring Vegetable Salad
Adapted from Vegetarian Times
Serves 6


The olives and basil were originally intended for garnish, but at home I don't eat fancy (the dish ended up in Tupperware storage to be eaten over many days), so threw the olives and basil into the mix to get their strong flavors incorporated.

2 cups dry Israeli couscous
4 teaspoons vegetable or olive oil
1 large bulb fennel, slivered, grated or finely chopped (1 cup)
1 medium leek, white and pale green parts finely chopped (1/2 cup)
6 cloves garlic, chopped (2 tablespoons)
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups shelled fresh or frozen peas
1 cup vegetable broth
4 plum tomatoes, chopped (1 cup)
2 0.25-gram packages saffron threads
2 cups baby arugula leaves
1/2 cup chopped, pitted oil-cured or Kalamata olives
handful basil leaves, chopped
  • Cook couscous in ample water (just like cooking any pasta) until pearls are soft. Drain and set aside.
  • In a large skillet (size is important here), heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add fennel, leeks, and garlic, and cook 3-5 minutes.
  • Add wine, and cook for 1 minute. Add peas and let cook for 1 more minute, as wine reduces.
  • Add vegetable broth.
  • Add couscous, tomatoes and saffron. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
  • Remove from heat, and stir in arugula, olives, and basil.
  • Serve immediately. If serving at a later time, say, the next day, wait to add arugula and basil until right before serving as they get a little wilty over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment