Sunday, May 6, 2007

Garage Sale Gold

It was my father who showed me the thrills and joys of garage sale hunting. We would wake up early on the weekend (who am I kidding, we always woke up early – sleeping in was not allowed), open the newspaper to the classifieds, scan for nearby garage sales, and head out the door with the newspaper under arm and exited optimism for what treasures we might find. Of course, he tempered the optimism with a little realism, and forewarned that real treasure was elusive and not to be found in every front yard – or even any front yard. Yes, that is how garage sales work, but when you hit gold, you hit gold.

Spring is garage sale season, and I’ve been hitting up quite a few these past weekends. I struck gold a while back at a designer’s garage sale when I took home a huge bag of fabric, but that’s not food related – or at least until I get around to the project of making dish towels...this year?

I’m a firm believer in the theory that if you wait for it, it will come to you. If you need a finger sewn back on after a lawnmower accident, you should not wait, but certain things will come to you – for free or cheaply – if you wait. The Cuisinart ice cream maker I’ve been wanting came to me this weekend at a garage sale, and it couldn’t have come at a better time. I’m excited to make ice cream this summer – or sooner. I just need to look up the manual on line to figure out how to work the thing, and I’ll be cooking…um chillin’ in no time.I also scored a party food cookbook from a series of books you can pick up at TJ Maxx and Marshalls that has wonderful pictures for every recipe. (I’m a sucker for pictures.) I draw a complete blank when I’m called upon to make hors d’oeuvres, so this book is what I’ve been wanting…and it came to me!

My partner wanted a fondue set, and what do you know? It came to him! The set looks just like the one I swirled hunks of steak and bread in during my youth, except ours was that yummy ‘70’s yellow.

My best garage sale kitchen score to date – a KitchenAid standing mixer that you shell out the big bucks for when people get married...for $20. Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment