Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Monte Cristo Sandwich

Why read food blogs? Because sometimes you stumble upon food you have been deprived of. That’s what happened when I read a restaurant review over at Foodaphilia that featured a Monte Cristo sandwich. I’m sure everyone knows what a Monte Cristo sandwich is – an egg-battered and fried, ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese sandwich accompanied by preserves or maple syrup – but I didn’t! I blame this ignorance on my tendency to hurriedly scan menus in order to skip over items including meat. I have no patience. I also don’t read instructions.

I love sandwiches. I love French toast. I looove it when maple syrup pools around my breakfast sausage. I’m thinkin’ I’m gonna love the Monte Cristo. I do.

Variations to this sandwich include three slices of bread, chicken, gruyere cheese, powdered sugar, condiment of choice, and anything you can imagine. I, of course, used veggie ham and turkey.

Monte Cristo Sandwich
Serves 1

2 slices white or challah bread
1 teaspoon mayonnaise, or mustard, or both
3 slices of turkey
3 slices of ham
1 slice of Swiss cheese
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon butter
preserves or maple syrup

  • Spread mayo and mustard on slices of bread
  • Top bread with turkey, ham, and cheese, so innards don’t overhang the bread
  • Mix egg and milk in a bowl
  • Add butter to a hot skillet
  • When butter has melted, dip both sides of sandwich in the egg and milk mixture
  • Fry both sides of the sandwich in skillet until golden brown.
  • Serve hot with preserves or maple syrup
  • Did I really just give direction for making a sandwich?

No comments:

Post a Comment