Sunday, May 20, 2007

Philly Italian Market Festival…

...or what I ate for lunch.

This is not my first time at the Italian Market Festival in Philly, and I must say that this festival is one of my favorite places for wedging myself amongst strangers and walking slowly behind them. Why? Because they have a great selection of food. The festival is essentially food, food, food, crappy merchandise, food, food, food, music stage, food, food, and food. This year I ate food that I had not sampled in previous years.

I started with the Mexican (Mexican? Hey, we’re all Italian, right?) corn on the cob that’s smothered in mayonnaise, cheese, and chili pepper. Oh my! I knew this was going to be good, so have avoided the Mexican corn stand that pops up on occasion at the park across from my Philly outpost, so as not to start a habit. Please don’t set up your corn stand at the park anymore. I’m afraid I’ll be seen sprinting across the park in my pj’s for your corn concoction.


Next were the Mozzarepas. These are tasteless corn pucks filled with mozzarella cheese. Keep on walking. In fact, someone stopped to ask me what I thought of these, and I said,"Not worth it." They kept walking. They can thank me later.


I was not enamored by these pesto filled agnolotti from the local pasta shop, Talluto's. I would never have guessed the bland filling was pesto, and the sauce tasted like Italian dressing from a bottle. Ick.


Free is good! The free salad with mozzarella and orange vinaigrette from Sorrento Cheese, the sponsor of the Italian festival, was actually fresh and tasty.


The boy really wanted cannoli. This $4 log of gold…uh, canolli from Isgro Pasticceria was delectable, but I’d prefer a great éclair any day compared to a great canolli. Just sayin'.

With a cup of coffee (not pictured) to top it off, we escaped down a side street, and moseyed home without a couple thousand people to impede us .

No comments:

Post a Comment