Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Baba Ganoush

It's eggplant season! How about some baba ganoush?

But first, let me warn you that there are going to be two camps with this recipe: you either love mayonnaise and are open-minded; or you hate mayonnaise and are going to call foul. Either way is cool, 'cause I love mayonnaise and am open-minded enough to accept mayonnaise-haters and nay-sayers.

If you haven't guessed already, there's mayonnaise in this baba ganoush recipe. Why would I do such a thing? Because I can suck down a tub of Sabra baba ganoush through pita straws faster than you can say falafel with all the works.Sabra's baba ganough is creamy, tangy, slightly sweet, and has no trace of bitterness from tahini which is usually in this Mediterranean roasted eggplant dip (tahini is my friend, but not my bff). I turned Sabra's container around to read the ingredients, and, who'd a thunk it, there's mayonnaise in there! No wonder I love the stuff.

You either like Sabra's or you don't; like tahini, or you don't; like mayonnaise or you dont. Such is life.

Going straight from Sabra's ingredient list (minus those weird words that don't reside in my kitchen), I tried to recreate Sabra's baba ganoush. Pretty close! Baba Ganoush

2 large Italian eggplants
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1/2 -3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • Half eggplants lengthwise, place cut side down on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. Cool until can be handled. Scrape out pulp from skin, and drain pulp in a colander for 10 minutes.
  • Add eggplant pulp, garlic, mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, and salt in food processor, and pulse a few times until blended. Transfer to a bowl, and serve.
  • Note - if using a mayonnaise with sugar in the ingredients, cut back or omit the sugar in the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment