Monday, August 18, 2008

Meet-up Picnic

Thanks to everyone who came out for the Philly Food Blogger Picnic in Fairmount Park! The weather was gorgeous, and the company and food were top notch as always.

Now that the event is over, I will fess up to something. As the organizer I was a little unprepared. I wanted the summer meet-up to be an outdoor event, and, you see, picnic means outdoor grilling, which means meat, and, well, I haven't eaten meat or cooked meat since I was fourteen! And at that time, the only meat dishes I had perfected in my repertoire were spaghetti with meat sauce and meat loaf.

I had a little heart attack the day after I picked up the meat from my friend's farm (also Keri's family farm). But after getting rough recipes and instructions on preparing the meat from Keri's mom (an awesome cook!), and a practice pheasant carving session with Jim, I felt more confident.

Although I didn't eat any of the meat I prepared, I heard the burgers were good and the first batch of venison kabobs were a little dry (oops, stayed on the grill too long). The pheasant didn't even get grilled since there were plenty of burgers and kabobs, which is unfortunate, but some lucky person went home with parting gifts of two whole pheasants.

A big thank you to Jim and Matt (gotta get a blog, dude, so I can link to you) for grilling. Also, thanks to Bill and Marisa for offering their grilling services.

I don't normally snap photos at these events simply because I space it, but I managed to whip out the camera for a few shots. I'm not sure who all made what. I know...bad host!
Veggie kabobs from yours truly; bacon toffee from Neal; corn, tomato, and avocado salsa/salad from Alex; peanut shrimp lettuce wraps from Patty.The cookie collection: chocolate almond cookies from Wendy; oatmeal cream pies from E. (I'm deeming her a cookie goddess); vegan chocolate and peanut butter cookies from moi; Famous Fourth St. chocolate chip cookie brought by Collin.

Any chance I get, I like to spread the gospel of Horseballs/Ladder Ball/Ladder Golf, a fun and easy game that lends itself well to parties where one hand is clutching a drink. For those who enjoyed the game, here are instructions for building your own set. Go forth and spread the gospel!

Hope to see you all at the next meet-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment