Saturday, August 30, 2008

Signs: Regionalisms

Quick! What do you call a sandwich on a long roll filled with meat, cheese, veggies, and condiments?

If you said sub, grinder, hero, or one of the other regional names for such a sandwich, you're not from around these parts. It's called a hoagie in Philly, and I'm not from around these parts. I'm sure you can find past posts where I've flung around the word sub -- what I used to call these sandwiches.

It's funny how regionalisms rub off on you, whether you like it or not. Having lived in Southeastern Pennsylvania and Northern Delaware for the past six years, I now say hoagie instead of sub almost instinctively. This adjustment and change I don't mind so much.

I do wince when I say you guys instead of y'all, though. When I'm being proper and having a formal conversation with someone (work, meeting someone new), I say "you guys" about half of the time. "How are you guys doing?"

When I'm inebriated, excited, mad, or just plain comfortable, I fling y'all all over the place. I get a little accent, too, that entertains others. "How y'all doin'?"

As far as food regionalisms go, I'm in the soda camp (soda, pop, or coke). To me, soda means any carbonated, sugared beverage. Coke means any cola-flavored, carbonated, sugared beverage, be it a Pepsi, RC, or whatever. Not no ever, no way in hell, huh-uh would I ever use the word pop, though.

For the record, I say caramel, carra-mel (three syllables); and pecan, PEE-can.

What other food regionalisms can you think of? Has living in a different region of the US affected your speech?

No comments:

Post a Comment