Monday, August 25, 2008

Black Lab Breads

A visit to Black Lab Breads in Wilmington a few weeks ago to scout out buns for the Philly food blogger picnic reminded me of how good fresh baked bread is. Very good!

I was looking for a bun suitable for burgers, but did not want to buy the generic buns you find in grocery stores. I had heard good things about Black Lab, so made my first trip to the small bakery on Union St. in Little Italy.

The selection of breads behind the counter looked scrumptious, but nothing was suitable for burgers. I was told they had a rosemary, parsley, and black pepper brioche they bake on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday that would fit the bill (my first visit was on Wednesday). So, when you go, note that the baked goods change daily.Bright and early Friday I was back to sample the brioche. Light and buttery with faint herbal flavors and a slightly stronger black pepper bite, I went into a daze of delight, and told them I'd take four dozen. Also, a dozen chewy ciabatta rolls for vegan carb loaders.

One snag -- if you want large quantities, you need to give them 48-hours advance notice so they can bake it specially for you. No prob. I was ahead of the game, so put in my order to be picked up on Sunday.

I also picked up a multi-grain sliced loaf for my work week lunches. Did I mention that fresh baked bread is awesome!The following week I did something I never do. I took a lunch break. And drove to Black Lab, and ate a slice of the lightest, freshest, eggplant and plum tomato topped focaccia I've ever had. It was $1.50! That's cheaper than most crappy slices of NY style pizza. Eggplant not your thing? They have other varieties to choose from.

Black Lab also has a small selection of pastries. Can you believe I didn't try any? Self control. I have it. But don't worry little pastries, I'll be back to eat you. My self control is fleeting.

Black Lab Breads
812 N. Union St., Wilmington, DE 19805
302-658-1307
Wed.-Sat., 8 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sun., 8 a.m.-2 p.m.; closed Mon. & Tues.

No comments:

Post a Comment