Friday, October 24, 2008

Gourdgeous

I have a dream...to one day grow heirloom and giant pumpkins as a hobby. But seeing as how I have a tee-tiny patch of soil in the shade, that dream is going to have to wait.

In the meantime, I get cheap thrills by ogling all the heirloom orbs at Longwood Garden's annual pumpkin and gourd display. You can't beat the classic orange pumpkin, but my favorites are the warty gourds and the gray gourds.This warty, milky orange French heirloom, 'Galeux d'Eysines', is my all time favorite. I once had seeds of this variety in hopes of a large patch of sunny soil falling from the sky, but who knows where those seeds are now...or that patch of soil.'Marina di Chioggia' makes me doubly happy with gray bumps abound. Don't they look like charred remains pulled from a house fire?I would have pocketed a couple of these fist-sized gray and orange 'Futtsu Early Black' squash, if I weren't such an upstanding citizen. I swear, I never even touched the display!
The display at Longwood has been up since September and runs through November 23, but towards the end things can get a little rotty and you just might miss some of these stunners, so go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment