Monday, October 27, 2008

Govatos: Good Chocolate, Cheap

While I'm certainly not the biggest tightwad to roam the earth, I do love a good bargain. And if that bargain is on good, local chocolate, well then, sign me up!

The Govatos family has been making chocolates in Wilmington, DE, for over 100 years. Since the early 1900's, Govatos Chocolates have been at their current location on the 800 block of Market St. right in the heart of downtown Wilmington where they double as a candy counter and a luncheonette straight out of the past. A second candy store front resides at 4105 Concord Pike just outside of Wilmington.My recent visit was to the downtown location where I gazed longingly at the chocolates displayed behind a long glass counter opposite dining booths. Yes, I could have spent a pretty penny picking out truffles and other chocolate confections, but I spied $1 grab bags of rejects -- you know, chocolates that are perfectly tasty, but have a blemish. Who can resist $1 chocolates!
I will warn that the 2-pack of $1 reject chocolate covered pretzels may not be the best deal, since pretzels go stale when they sit for a while. Mine were a little stale, but edible.The $1 grab bags of chocolates are a steal, though. Each bag contains five assorted chocolates, and what you get is a total surprise, but all good. Aesthetics are the only problem with these bargains. I particularly liked the chocolate covered nougat and caramel.Sort of glad I don't work downtown, or else I'd snag a $1 grab bag daily, but for those of you that do haunt the downtown drag, this treat just might make your stay a little sweeter.

Govatos Chocolates
800 Market St., Wilmington, DE 19801
302-652-5252

No comments:

Post a Comment