Friday, October 10, 2008

Parmesan-Pepper Biscuits

This recipe for Parmesan-pepper biscuits comes from the back page of the latest issue of Gourmet magazine. I'm not sure why I made this recipe instead of the other recipes I dog-ear...and never get to. I think the short list of ingredients sold me.

More of a cracker than a biscuit, but, at the same time, don't try dragging these rounds through dip like an ordinary, crisp cracker. These crackers have a consistency of crumbly shortbread, and truly reminded me of the classic Southern tea party appetizer, cheese straws -- a long, slender, cheesy, spicy, buttery stick of goodness.

I've been meaning to make classic cheese straws for some time now. I guess I just did, but flat and round instead of long and slender; Parmesan instead of Cheddar; and black pepper instead of cayenne.

As I was making the recipe, I noticed there was no salt in the ingredient list. Odd, but I figured maybe the Parmesan cheese added enough salt. Nope. I ended up sprinkling salt on the tops of the crackers, which solved the problem.

Parmesan-Pepper Biscuits
Adapted from Gourmet
makes about 35 crackers


1 cup grated Parmgiano-Reggiano
1/2 stick butter, softened
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 teaspoon salt
  • Pulse cheese and butter in a food processor. Add flour, egg yolk, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and process until combined into a dough.
  • Roll into a 6-inch log, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
  • Cut log into 1/4-inch thick rounds, and place 1-inch apart on a baking sheet.
  • Sprinkle tops of crackers with salt and remaining black pepper.
  • Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment