Sunday, April 26, 2009

Paesano's

Meat-lovers just can't seem to get enough of Paesano's sandwiches, and the way they talk about them, it almost makes me want to order the famed roast beef or suckling pig sandwich from the Fishtown sandwich shop located just across the street from big sis' Modo Mio. Fortunately, Paesano's threw us vegetarians a bone and included one veggie sandwich in their line up of six sandwiches.

Paesano's is not large inside, but you can dine at an "L" shaped counter with a half dozen or so stools, or, if you like, sit on the sidewalk at one of the two-top tables and the friendly staff will hand the sandwich out the window when your order is up.
The Panelle is wrap sandwich filled with a Sicilian chickpea pancake, roasted tomatoes and fennel, and "godzuki" sauce (sour cream, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary and hot sauce). When asked if I wanted long hots, I said yes. I also spied some onions and lettuce in my wrap.

The tangy sauce and mildly spicy peppers contributed most of the flavor, while the very mushy chickpea patty provided bulk to the sandwich. The handmade flat bread that wrapped the sandwich was crispy and excellent. No store bought tortilla wraps here!

The Panelle is a good, cheap ($4!!) sandwich, and I'd gladly order another, but the Panelle did not make an addict out of me like some of Paesano's meat sandwiches apparently do to others.

I will give Paesano's kudos for creating a veggie sandwich that I've never seen or experienced anywhere else. Paesano's could have offered the mozzarella, tomato and basil sandwich; portobello sandwich; ALT; or hummus wrap, which all can be great sandwiches, but are so overdone that the sight of any of these on a menu as the lone veggie offering makes me weep.

I think Paesano's offers good, cheap ($4-$8 and includes a free drink), creative, gourmet sandwiches. Paesano's also offers a soup and sandwich of the day, bread, roasted potatoes (ask for them veg or else they're cooked in pork fat), and an Italian Nutella and apricot crepe. If I'm back in the area, I'm hitting up the $2 crepes!

Paesano's
152 West Girard Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19123

267-886-9556

Tues-Sat, 11am-7pm

No comments:

Post a Comment