Monday, September 14, 2009

I Got Ribbed Off

The rain stayed away and the crowds came out for the all-you-can-eat ribs, brisket, and other grillables from local professional and amateur teams at A Full Plate's Annual Rib Cook-Off this past Saturday, and what a great time it was!

FYI, the "I Got Ribbed Off" in the title of the post refers to the cute bovine T-shirts with the same saying being sold at the event.
All teams were required to grill ribs, so there were lots of those to be had, although some teams ran out of food quickly with the hungry people chowing their way full force through the crowd. Ribs, Brisket, Anything Goes, and Vegetarian were the four categories teams could enter into the judging, and, let me tell you, the food went fast!

As a judge for the Professional Vegetarian category (there was also an Amateur Vegetarian category), I wasn't allowed in the festival area so as to keep my peepers off the goods and keep the blind judging truly blind, so when my duties were over and I did get a peek at the competitors' tables, much of the food was already gone!
A Full Plate kept the buffet sides and desserts coming, though. E's mini red velvet cupcakes are too cute, and her oatmeal creme pies are one of my all-time favorite desserts she makes. Coleslaw, mac and cheese, baked beans, and brussel sprout salad were a few of the items off the all-vegetarian buffet we picked up.
Carnage from the Professional Vegetarian judging table.

Being a judge in the Professional Vegetarian category was a lot of fun, but I took the job seriously, thoughtfully scoring each entry on presentation, creativity, and taste. I think the Vegetarian category and the Anything Goes category (didn't judge Anything Goes) were truly the most interesting, with each entry being so different from the next. These categories weren't just plate of ribs, one after the other. Vegetarian and Anything Goes were where the grill masters could really use their creativity and bring something special to the table.

With first and second place winners in both amateur and professional divisions of four categories (Ribs, Brisket, Anything Goes, and Vegetarian), as well as a people's choice award, my little, end-of-the-day, non-note-taking brain just can't remember who won what, except for the category I judged and the people's choice award (that award went to Sonata), so you'll just have to wait for the official announcements. (Updade: and here they are.)
Tower Investments took home the second place prize in the Professional Vegetarian category with a grilled vegetable sandwich that was truly delicious -- and I encounter many grilled veggie sandwiches. Who'd a thunk a property developer could turn out good grub!
Q BBQ and Tequila took home the first place prize in the Professional Vegetarian category with grilled caramelized onions and mushrooms with toasts topped with herbed and sweetened goat cheese. This really was the tastiest vegetarian dish of the day in my opinion (and apparently others'), and Q deserved the win.

No pictures or prize, but Mermaid BBQ, 2008's first place rib winner and people's choice winner, made tiny bbq seitan sliders topped with chunky blue cheese dressing that was simple, but delicious. If I had the power (sadly, I have none) to grant a third place prize, I'd award it to Mermaid Barbecue.

I had a lot of fun and can't wait til next year! Check out a few more of my pics on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment