Monday, September 6, 2010

Squash Casserole

Squash casserole holds a tie with macaroni and cheese as my favorite dish my Mom makes. Maybe it's because squash casserole is essentially the same as the macaroni and cheese my Mom makes, except squash take the place of elbow noodles, and the squash's own juices take the place of milk. If you will, you could say squash casserole is a healthier version of mac and cheese!

This dish is found at every Southern table for weeknight suppers and even special occasions. I get my mother's squash casserole only at Christmas when visiting home, so the dish in now a special occasion dish for me.I have the hardest time finding tender, young, yellow crookneck squash around these parts (always find straight squash, or overgrown squash with tough skins and pithy centers), so I actually grew my own this year. We use nothing else but yellow crookneck squash, so it's not the same to me with some other squash, but you certainly could use some other yellow summer squash. Just be sure the squash is young and tender, as this is very important to the texture of the casserole.Squash is boiled until tender and then mashed to varying degrees of mushiness. I like squash casserole mushed to oblivion, and also only slightly mushed. I like squash casserole.

So, I will eat them in a box. And I will eat them with a fox. And I will eat them in a house. And I will eat them with a mouse. And I will eat them here and there. Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE!On vacation a few weeks ago, a friend made squash casserole knowing I liked it so much, and commented that everyone makes squash casserole differently. It's true! She made hers with dill, sour cream, and Cheddar, and it was fabulous. I'm giving you a basic recipe with only onions and Cheddar cheese, but feel free to play around.

Squash Casserole
adapted from my Mother
serves 4-5


5-6 yellow squash, chopped
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup onion, chopped
garlic salt, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
  • Boil squash until tender. Drain water from squash.
  • In a large bowl, add the squash, egg, butter, onion, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Mash together with a potato masher
  • Add Cheddar cheese to squash mixture and combine.
  • Pour into a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees fro about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment