Thursday, September 29, 2011

Birthday Sriracha Nectarine Crisp

Good news- I'm no longer MIA!
Bad news- I don't think I have any readers in the immediate vicinity of this awesome kitchen. Because if you were, I'd hand out steaming bowls of this beautiful birthday crisp, of which we have leftovers, from Tuesday's birthday bacchanal.
It's been a whirlwind of a week for us. My new website is in its final stages of development. We've been spending some good quality time with family and friends, too. We started off last weekend by taking a trip down to my mom's to start my birthday celebration and celebrate my father's wedding, and throughout the week, extended the partying for a few days here and there.
On my actual birthday, we relaxed and hung out, and I made this beautiful crisp. Easily the best part of the weekend, tied for first place with today's purchase of a Fur Real kitten to boggle our own kitten.
This recipe is from Budget Bytes, and it's anything but budget-looking. Sriracha and nectarines seemed like a no-brainer, that is, in a marinade. In a crisp, though, I was skeptical. Using a sauce of honey, cinnamon, and sriracha, which, again, wouldn't be out of place slathered on some chicken, humble nectarines are transformed into a fun dessert.
In this sense, it reminds me of the talking stuffed kitten. It's a fun experiment with whimsical results and wasn't a huge risk to take. I made a few changes to the recipe from the original version. I used a special apricot honey creme, courtesy of Honey Ridge Farms and their PR firm. The honey's rich, deep flavor boosted the nectarines, and used about twice the amount of sriracha as called for in the recipe. I didn't feel like the original featured the heat and prickle enough, but my modification really drove that point home. I added some hot cayenne pepper for color in the streusel part, but it disappeared while cooking.
The best part of this recipe was that it made a ton of crisp, and each 1/4, 1/3 cup serving was just enough to enjoy without going overboard. It wasn't overly sweet and the heat made it easier to gauge when I wanted to stop eating rather than eating too much of it at once. I think next time I'd cut down on the butter and use about twice the cornstarch or tapioca to thicken it. It was a little soupy. It was an incredibly unique dessert, though, and paired perfectly with a Thai dinner and a spot of birthday wine, a poised yet quirky 2006 Zind Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Herrenweg de Turckheim. Delicious and filling, and a fantastic way to kick off another year. After all, what better dessert for a Riesling and Gewurz fanatic is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment