Sunday, January 3, 2010

Aunt Else's Aebleskiver Mix


I got this hefty pan and mix kit a while ago from Chad at Aunt Else's Aebleskiver's. Aebleskivers are a Danish spherical pancake, and this kit lets me make them at home. The nice thing about them is that they can be customized in so many different ways, and for the family and me, this was a fun breakfast treat.

Making these was a lot of fun. We found that it was actually a lot easier to use a butter knife to slide the aebleskivers around than to use the skewer. We made two flavors of the aebleskivers, the regular flavor, without any filling, and one with little pieces of chopped apple.

I'd like to try these with a savory flavor, like ham and egg, or pesto and mozzarella, at some point. They puffed up really well and were easy to pick up and handle, so I imagine these would be a lot of fun for an on-the-go snack, like a crepe or a slice of pizza. I just enjoyed them a lot. They were quite novel.

Pouring in the batter...

Twirling each one a quarter turn...

Nine perfect aebleskivers!

Enjoyable with any topping, like powdered sugar or maple syrup. Traditionally, though, the Danes do not eat these for breakfast.

These were fun to make, and really tasty. Sometimes the taste of the oil was a little overpowering, and the puffs were sometimes not as fluffy as I'd have liked, but that could have been with my technique. With practice makes perfect, and these are easy to master. I'll definitely be trying this again!

Thanks to the folks at Aunt Else's!

No comments:

Post a Comment