Monday, January 4, 2010

Bye-Bye, Wilmington

I actually haven't left. But I have. I will continue to work in Wilmington, beautifying and making y'all look awesome, but I no longer live in Wilmington. Yeah, I'm actually kind of sad about this.

This means I probably won't be eating out very often in Wilmington or Delaware. Future Wilmington restaurant reviews are now on the endangered list.

I know I've got one more Wilmington review up in here somewhere (it involves dessert). And I have friends in Wilmington that I'd race back to the state for in the event of a party or outing, so our relationship may not be completely over.

Guiltily, I feel as though I slighted Wilmington in favor of Philly in the restaurant review department, but in looking over at the side bar listing all the places I've been, I'm actually surprised at how many places in Wilmington I got to, especially considering that I rarely go out in Wilmington. Out of the 151 reviews currently listed, 37 of the restaurants are in Wilmington or right outside of Wilmington. Not bad. And, I still have about 25 Wilmington places on my to-do list.

Well, au revoir, Wilmington. I will leave you with a list of only good things...and skip the bitch-fest.

A few of my favorite things in Wilmington:Domain Hudon - A cozy wine bar that serves great food (they recently got a new chef, so I'll definitely have to make a return trip) that was right around the corner from me.

Alcohol - While not as great as states that let you buy wine and beer in every grocery store, at least DE doesn't have the asinine liquor laws that PA has.

Tax-Free Shopping - It is veeerry nice! Since I'll still be visiting almost daily, I'll be sure to stock my car before returning home.
Capriotti's - Hand's down, best veggie turkey sub in the area. I cannot believe how many times I've eaten their sub (it's a sub, not a hoagie at Capriotti's), and, mmmm, oh my god, it tastes so good. I do not intend to live without Cap's. Take-out!

Delaware Center For Horticulture - They plan, plant, and maintain some of the most thoughtful and beautiful median strips (and other public spaces) I've ever seen. Anywhere. Driving along the busy roads in Wilmington is gorgeous...if you take time to notice the small things.

Clean Streets - Litter is minimal in Wilmington. It is a wondrous thing.
Brandywine Park - The best part about this downtown park with a scenic river and canal, tall trees, picnic tables, rose garden, and wide paths is the surrealism of walking right past the llamas and birds of prey at the neighboring Brandywine Zoo. That and it was, literally, right in my backyard! It is every American family's cliche dream to live next to such a park smack in the middle of downtown with gorgeous surrounding neighborhoods. No family here, but I'm shedding mondo tears for the loss of this one.

People - There are some brave mo'f'er's in Wilmington that have de-lurked and befriended me. As in, out of the blue with no relationship to me or anyone I know, asked me to dinner or to a party. I, of course, accepted (as long as they pass the creep test and don't want me to drive more than 20 minutes to meet them), and have met some really great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment