Monday, May 4, 2009

Headhouse Report

Despite the dreary rain and chilly day, I checked out the opening day of Headhouse Farmer's'Market this past Sunday, not just to purchase a few items, but to see if any vendors moved to the sidewalk or adopted the "room" style of setting up their stands like the pioneering Three Springs Fruit Farm did last year.

A little over a month ago, I wrote a post expressing my frustrations with the crowded and narrow market that recieved a few comments from similarly disgruntled market patrons. I was told the post was forwarded to The Food Trust, so was curious if any changes occurred -- not that I actually expect people to listen to me.

Short answer: yes and no.
The majority of the vendors still park their tables under the roof of the market. I did notice a few vendors moved their table as far back as they could, while still having their table under the roof, which is a nice effort, but only helps the congestion minimally.Dancing Hen Farm and Three Springs Fruit Farm

Three Springs Fruit Farm created a room this year, as they did last year. Dancing Hen Farm created a room, and I actually decided to purchase eggs from Dancing Hen Farm instead of the other two vendors offering eggs, just for that reason. Hurley's and Young's Garden

Hurley's, which sells potted plants, and Young's Garden, which sells potted plants and cut flowers, were set up outside of the market, as they normally are, and this is a good thing.

Perhaps the opening day was not the best day to judge whether or not vendors are moving out from underneath the Headhouse structure since is was raining. I understand not wanting to be wet and cold, but I simply can't believe any serious outdoor market vendor has not already invested in a tent for use in inclement weather.

I do like the Headhouse Market and all the vendors, and will continue to shop there, but think I'll make it my policy to purposely patronize vendors who get out from underneath the Headhouse roof, thus making my transactions more pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment